Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Left My Heart in Haiti

Today the mission team that went to Haiti in July gave our presentation to the church. Getting to talk about our experiences and seeing the photos was such a great reminder of what we experienced, and brought back a lot of emotions that I have already managed to shove into the back of my heart and brain.


So I'm not exactly what you would call a "kid friendly" person. In fact, kids scare me to death. I don't know what to do with them, say to them, how to react to what they say and do, etc.  This was the second year in a row that the mission work I got to do involved Vacation Bible School. Do ya think God is trying to tell me something? I didn't think that was what we were going to be doing this year, in fact, they told us we would be doing maintenance type work. Fine with me. But when we got there, guess what! VBS. Yippee.


So how ya think ol' Huff handled 200 kids who didn't even speak English? We quickly learned you don't need words to communicate. The first day we were there we were told to remain aloof, not to grab and hold kids, to let them concentrate on the Bible lesson, and no pictures. While some had a problem with this, I completely understood. We were distraction enough just being white and obviously American.
After that first day, when they figured out we were there to help and not to judge, and we figured out that a combination of sign language and mime worked wonders, we felt much more at ease.


We also had wonderful translators, who understood that we were unfamiliar with the culture as well as the language. They let us know when we said or did something that might not fly with their culture, such as painting the boys' fingernails!

Last year in Trinidad I found that even though I'm not a kid person, most kids don't seem to care, they just love unconditionally anyway. This was my experience again this year. I'm not sure why, but while I hesitate (or flat out refuse) to work with children in the U.S., I have no problem with it in other countries. Maybe it's because I know I probably won't see them again. Maybe it's because I'm in an environment of love and peace, where guards are let down and everyone is working for a common good. Maybe it's because there's no one to point and laugh when a kid comes up to me a hugs me! And maybe it's because these children have so little by way of material possessions that I try to love them a little bit more than these X-Box brats back home!

When I was in Haiti in 2009 I came home with a strong feeling that I could be a missionary in Haiti. That lasted about a week until I really got to thinking about the little bit I had to actually do while I was there. I had my meals prepared for me, my laundry washed for me, and I sure didn't have to drive down those crazy roads. This time I went with more intention to see how the missionaries live, how tired they are all the time from working from sun up to sun down, and let me tell you, there is no Wal-Mart to get your groceries!



I had a good experience both trips. The little inconveniences did not bother me. I was not expecting the Hilton. As long as I have a toilet and a bed, I'm good. I didn't like all of the food, but a little fasting sure wouldn't hurt me! I would definitely go back again and again. It really is like an addiction. It's that mountain-top experience with God that I want everyday, and while away from all the "conveniences" and distractions I seem to be more in tune with Him and with myself.

I wouldn't recommend everyone go on a short-term mission trip to Haiti. If you're going to complain the whole time, you're not going to get anything out of it. Yes it's hot. Yes the electricity goes out a lot. And yes, it is dirty, smelly and generally behind in technology. But the people are so genuine, so friendly, so caring for their family and friends. It breaks my heart everytime I go there, and more so everytime I leave. A bit of my heart will always be in Haiti and with Haiti.

No comments: